[Skip to content]

BILD - All About People
Monday 20 January 2020
View Basket View Basket

Looking for advice?

BILD is unfortunately not able to take advice enquiries or to give advice directly, we do not have the resources to provide this service. Below we signpost organisations that can offer help or advice.

The information on this page is in three sections:

  • general advice organisations

  • advocacy organisations

  • organisations offering specialist advice


It is often a good idea to begin by finding your local advocacy organisation. You'll find people there who may have gone through the same experience as you or who know what to do or where to go locally. To find your local advocacy group, go to the advocacy section of this page.


General advice organisations

The following organisations offer advice and information:

Contact a Family

Contact a Family provides support, advice and information for families with disabled children, no matter what their condition or disability. They have over 30 years of experience of working with families with disabled children.

Their Freephone helpline for parents and professionals across the UK is staffed by trained parent advisors. It gives information and advice on a wide range of issues including welfare rights, education, short breaks, local services and local support. The helpline is open Monday-Friday, 9.30am-5pm.

Their advisers can help with:

  • benefits or tax credits issues
  • assessments and statements of special educational needs
  • details of local parents support groups
  • information about your child's condition
  • how to access help with getting a break from caring
  • details of charities which give grants to families with disabled children
  • advice and information on any other aspect of caring for a disabled child
  • the helpline has a registered immigration adviser who can give basic advice in immigration matters.


Contact them:


The SEN National Advice Service

Contact a Family has launched the only country-wide advice service for Special Educational Needs (SEN) – The SEN National Advice Service.

This service will help families whose child may have special educational needs – they will be able to provide advice and information on any aspect of a child’s education. Help is available through their helpline 0808 808 3555, or post a query on Contact a Family's Facebook or Twitter sites and a SEN adviser will get back to you. Or by email: helpline@cafamily.org.uk

What can you give advice and information about?

The SEN process - including:

  •     Early years
  •     School Action and School Action Plus
  •     Individual Education Plans (IEP’s)
  •     Statutory Assessment/ Statements
  •     Annual Reviews
  •     Transition planning and education after 16
  •     Appeals

Other general education issues as they affect children with SEN, which include:

  •     Transport to school
  •     Bullying
  •     Exclusion
  •     Medical needs in school
  •     Attendance at school
  •     Home Education

The Mencap Learning Disability Helpline

The Learning Disability Helpline is an advice and information service for people with a learning disability, their families and carers. It also provides information and advice to anyone wanting to know about learning disability issues and services.

The Learning Disability Helpline is made up of a telephone helpline, community based advisers and the Mencap website. Community-based advisors support people with a learning disability, their parents and carers. They can do this by phone, email, post, a direct visit or a combination of these.

They give advice and information about:

  • community care

  • benefits

  • education

  • jobs

  • housing

  • holidays

  • family and personal relationship


Contact them:

  • By phone on 0808 808 1111, if you live outside England the automated system should forward you to your local helpline service, if it doesn't, the number for the Mencap Helpline in Wales is 01248 361 254, in Northern Ireland it is 02890 691 351 - both these numbers are chargeable so it is better to go through the 0808 808 111 number if you can. The service for Scotland is run by Enable, see below.

  • By textphone: 18001 0808 808 1111

  • By email at help@mencap.org.uk

  • By text on 0771 7989 029

  • By post at: The Learning Disability Helpline, Mencap, 3rd Floor, Delta View, 2309-2311 Coventry Road, Birmingham B26 3PG



Enable in Scotland have a Helpline called Enable Direct. This is a customer helpline for people who have learning disabilities, their carers and family members.  The Helpline number is 0300 0200 101 or you can email enable@enable.org.uk



GOV.UK provides a single point of online access to government services and information - including employment, financial support, rights, education, independent living and much more.


Top of the page


Direct Enquiries

The Nationwide Access Register allows you to search for shops, businesses and service providers throughout the United Kingdom that provide the access and facilities you need - everything from entrances, lifts and toilets to auxiliary aids such as Braille and staff assistance.

Direct Enquiries

Easy Health

Health information that is easy to understand.



The Disability Information Website

Disability Direct is an online directory and disability website designed to help you find just the right information, support or equipment you need to live your life.




Advocacy organisations

Advocacy groups bring people together who have a lot of experience in areas that you might be experiencing the same problems with, so are well worth a try – and people with learning disabilities should have access to an advocate if they want one.

To find a group in your area:

Advocacy Finder Helpline (Tuesday to Friday 11.00am – 2.00pm) on:  08451 228633

For advocacy groups in Scotland, contact the Scottish Independent Advocacy Alliance on 0131 260 5380, www.siaa.org.uk   (they have an online search facility to find local groups) or email    enquiry@siaa.org.uk


Top of the page 



Organisations offering specialist help

These organisations offer specialist advice, they are listed by subject area:


Disability Information Advice Line Scope (DIAL)
Tel: 01302 310123

Contact a Family      
Tel: 0808 808 3555


Supported Living Funds
For information on entitlements and options:
In Control          
Tel: 0121 708 3031 

Websites on general help in assessing care
Tel: 0844 2474 150

Shop for Support
Tel: 0333 600 6330


Independent Panel for Special Education Advice 
Tel: 0800 0184016

Tel: 020 8538 3731/8255 7657

The Advisory Centre for Education 
Tel: 0207 7043386    

Cambian Group
Tel: 0800 138 1418  


Supported Employment
The British Association for Supported Employment (BASE)  
Tel: 08445 617445 

United Response 
Tel: 020 82465200 

Shaw Trust 
Tel: 01225 716300  

Tel: 0118 950 8781 

Tel: 0845 155 2821  

Parents with Learning Disabilities
Special Parenting Service  
Tel: 01872 358713

Tel: 0113 388 0011

Website to help find information: www.autismlink.co.uk

Directory of autism services:  www.autismdirectory.org.uk

Asperger Initiative    Tel: 01424 439691

Supported Housing
Advance Housing and Support 
Tel: 01993 712885 

Housing Options Scotland
Tel: 0131 247 1400

Housing & Support Alliance
Tel: 0845 456 1497

Tel: 0207 3240750

My Safe Home   
Tel 0800 121 333  

Family Carer information

National Family Carer Network 
Tel 01883 722 311 or 07747 460727

Princess Royal Trust for Carers
Tel: 0844 800 4361


If you provide information and advice to people and families of people with learning disabilities and their families and would like to tell us about it, please contact us on enquiries@bild.org.uk


Top of the page


Membership web banner Vertical 170x737px




News flag image