Understanding the importance of good communication and the positive impact it can have on the lives of people with learning disabilities.
A BILD CPD Learning and Development Programme
Dates: 26 February 2019, Birmingham
11 June 2019, London
Who is it for?
This course is for anyone who would like to improve their communication skills with people with learning disabilities.
You will find this especially useful if you are completing the Level 3 Diploma in Adult care or the Level 3 Lead Adult Care Worker apprenticeship. The course is closely linked to modules within these programmes.
This course will be delivered by an expert BILD consultant and content is derived from current evidence based practice and research.
How will it help me?
This course will help you learn various useful and practical strategies and techniques to support people’s understanding and communication.
Elements of the programme include:
- Empathising with how it may feel to have learning disabilities
- Understanding the difference between “understanding” and “expressive communication”
- How to assess “key word understanding"
- Strategies to support people’s understanding and communication
- Understand the role of good communication in choice making and the Mental Capacity Act