How to complete a basic Functional Behaviour Assessment
A BILD CPD Learning and Development Day
27-28 February 2019 and 4 April 2019 -
This date is now fully booked and no further registrations will be taken. Please look out for alternative dates in the future.
13-14 May 2019 and 12 June 2019
Good positive behaviour support depends on the quality of the behaviour support plan and how well it is understood and delivered. A PBS plan should be based on a functional behaviour assessment carried out by a practitioner who has had the right level of training.
On this programme participants will learn how to do a Brief Functional Assessment. This will include learning to complete a Functional Assessment Interview and how to use rating scales effectively. The programme will also cover reviewing reports, reviewing recording tools and undertaking brief observations.
Participants will also learn how to complete a functional assessment report and how to design interventions based on the report that informs the development of a positive behaviour support plan.
After two days of practical and theoretical learning participants will return to their workplace and complete a functional assessment on someone they support. The assessment report will be presented to the group on day 3 and will be assessed by the programme facilitator. Participants will receive individual verbal and written feedback.
The programme will be a mixture of theoretical learning, group discussion and practical exercises that will involve both individual and paired work.
Who should attend
- Understand and practice completing a functional assessment interview
- Understand and become familiar with different rating scales
- Practice reviewing reports and information from other sources
- Practice observation skills
- Learn how to write a functional assessment report and will understand how this will help them to develop an effective PBS plan
- Complete an assignment that will include conducting a functional behaviour assessment in their workplace and produce a report for assessment
- Develop knowledge of consent and data protection issues related to carrying out assessments
- Know when to seek specialist support to manage complex cases
- Peer review other participants assessment reports and share learning
This event is for supervisors and support staff who want to learn how to complete a brief functional behaviour assessment. This programme may also be of interest to parents, personal assistants and foster carers.
Programme of the day:
- Introductions; learning outcomes and structure of the programme
- What is a functional behaviour assessment and why is it important to PBS?
- Defining behaviours of concern; identifying antecedents and setting events
- Identifying consequences and common functions to behaviours of concern
- Functional Assessment Interviews
- Using rating scales
- Utilising other available data
- Completing brief observations and writing the functional assessment report
- Developing a PBS plan
Participants will then complete a functional assessment in their workplace. They will bring a functional assessment report and a draft PBS plan to be assessed on day 3.
Day 3 assessments, feedback and action planning.
Top of the page